Can t Sleep Thinking Too Much
We all know the importance of a good night's sleep. But what happens when falling into that all important dream state is so elusive? Millions of people suffer from some form of sleep problem or another, so the good news is you're not alone; if you can call that good news. Can t Sleep Thinking Too Much
Not getting enough sleep can cause several problems. Slumberless nights can cause irritability, impaired memory, lack of concentration, dampened immune system functions and can also create a higher risk of accidents. You become less productive and more vulnerable to colds, flu, infections and disease. If you do fall ill, your recovery time becomes longer. In short, if you can't get your body to rest, it will ultimately force you to in ways you may not like.
Here are some tips that may help you fall asleep faster on those sleepless nights:
- Keep the lights down. Darker is better. If you can't avoid lights in your sleeping area, you may want to try a sleep mask.
- Make sure the temperature and ventilation are adequate. There is nothing worse than trying to sleep when it's too hot or too cold.
- Try some light reading. Something entertaining or amusing. Nothing that will get you thinking too much.
- Turn on some soft music. Something you enjoy of course, but nothing heavy.
- If your brain is buzzing, get out of bed, grab a pen and paper and make a list of the things on your mind.
This will put your brain at ease knowing that you have captured your to-do's.
- Have a very light snack. Try some milk (warm or not, I find it doesn't much matter). Hot tea, caffeine free of course, often helps.
- Some people find that small hobbies like crosswords, simple puzzles and so on can help relax the mind.
- Try some deep breathing exercises. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, each breath deeper than the last.
Things to avoid: Can t Sleep Thinking Too Much
- Don't get wrapped up in television. It actually stimulates the brain in all the wrong ways before bedtime.
- Avoid coffee
- Try to avoid heavily analytical items that require deep concentration. It is difficult to get your brain out of the analysis mode.
- Don't do your taxes right before bed;)
Longer term, you may want to think about ensuring you don't run into those sleepless nights at all.
- Don't over eat before bed.
- If you have problems with indigestion, you may want to investigate cures for things like acid reflux.
- Is your bed the right size? Are your pillows comfortable? Ensure your sleeping area is reserved for sleeping and is as comfortable as possible.
- Set a regular bed time. Try to get go to sleep and get up at the same time every day.
- Limit napping. It is easy to get into a cycle where you require a nap due to lack of sleep. The nap may just be what is keeping you awake at night.
- Alcohol, caffeine, smoking, too much food or liquid can all keep you awake at night.
- Having a good exercise earlier in the day will also help you sleep at night. Just avoid exercising within an hour or two before bed. Exercise releases adrenaline, adrenaline is a stimulant... you get the point.
For occasional problems sleeping, you may want to try a melatonin based sleep aid. This is not a substitute for all of the remedies mentioned above, but will get you through those times when a good night's sleep is important. Can t Sleep Thinking Too Much